The NT Scan is currently the most accurate non-invasive test for detecting ‘soft’ markers for chromosomal defects such as Trisomy 21, Trisomy 18 and Down’s Syndrome. Patient specific ratio is calculated with measurement of the nuchal translucency (NT SCAN), evaluation of the brain, organ development, nasal bone, maternal age and blood serum.
NT pregnancy scans result in a 90–95% detection rate of pregnancies that may be at an increased risk of carrying genetic disorders.
The test is performed between 11 weeks and 13 weeks 6 days into your pregnancy. The test cannot be performed outside this window period as certain features that need to be seen on the scan are not present.
* The skeleton begins to harden and the limbs reach their relative lengths.
* The foetus can somersault, yawn and turn its head from side to side.
* The external genitalia is developed but female genitalia can appear swollen.
* The fingers and toes are developed as well as finger prints.
* The foetus swallows as well as urinates and waste products are passed through the placental membrane.
Drink 2-3 cups of water I hour before the scan. The full bladder acts as a window and improves image quality.
Advice – Bring all blood results as well as previous scan results. Inform the sonographer of your family history and any concerns you might have.
This procedure is done during a routine trans-abdominal ultrasound examination. The sonographer will first move the transducer across your belly to measure your baby from crown to rump to ensure that the fetal age is accurate. Then she will locate and measure the nuchal fold (if you’re lucky your baby will cooperate by moving into a position where the measurement will be easy) and then evaluate the rest of the anatomy. Results are immediate and a report will be given to you for your doctor, midwife or clinic.
See “QUESTIONS & ANSWERS and ‘TERMS & CONDITIONS” for more information.
NT pregnancy scans can be combined with blood tests for more definitive results.
2D-R800, 4D Package R1100, HD Live- R1150
DVD-R50- optional with 2d scan
R850/R1150/R1250 EDGARS/JET/BOARDMANS/LEGIT/RED SQUARE on account
- Detailed Anatomy screening
- Nuchal and nasal bone measurement
- Gestational Age (Crown Rump Length)
- Estimated Due Date
- Early gender screening (position dependent non-confirmation)
- Diagnostic report
- Thermal prints (2-5),
- DVD & CD-Rom optional – R50 each
- Maternal Serum Markers – Blood Tests on request
Follow-up scan after nuchal scan- 14-18 week growth/wellness scan